Sunday 5 September 2021

They also taught us!

 

I was just 10 years old.  I had badly injured my big toe and went alone to the nearby Government Hospital for treatment.  I meekly stood at the door of the wound dressing room. The dressing staff, a giant by size, was cleaning the wound of another man who was screaming! I got scared and started walking away.  Little after, somebody patted me on the back.  He was the very dressing staff who took me by arms.  When he started cleaning my injury, I started screaming.  The dressing staff asked me to be calm and said, 'you should withstand this small pain to become okay!' Within minutes, he had taught me the lesson of my life to 'bear with small pains, to earn a bigger gain.'

Yes, we are grateful to our teachers who have taught us knowledge, skills and moulded our attitude.  On this occasion of 'Teachers' Day,' let us also remember those 'informal teachers' who too have taught us many life skills.

'Mother' is the first teacher in every one's life, and family is the first school. My case was no different.  I was put to school, when I was just 4.  During my early school days, I learnt how to 'piss' safely with the help of my school 'aaya.'  When I was caught by our terrible head master for doing a prank, it was Krishne Gowda, our school peon who defended me, took me away and cautioned me 'not to repeat such pranks.'

During the year 1966, when I was in Class 7, West Indies cricket team was touring India.  At that time, one of my school friends, Krishnamurthy introduced me to cricket, our players and the radio commentary.

During my high school days, when I was selected to go to Bangalore for a Hindi speech, my father was reluctant to send me.  Then it was our neighbour Mr. Narayana Rao, who advised my father correctly and helped me in preparing for my speech. 

When I entered college, I used to have a tough time in the Physics laboratory.  Our lab peon Mr. Putte Gowda whom people used to call 'Newton,' was a tough guy.  But he was a great help for students like me in learning the skills of conducting the experiments and taking the readings correctly.

My small place Hassan, was the home of arts and culture.  Cultural festivals on the occasion of Ganesha festival and Rama Navami were great learning opportunities for youngsters like me.  I remember listening to a concert of  Chembai Vaidyanatha Bhagavathar then, which kindled in me the interest for classical music.  Harikatha discourses from great vidwans like Achutha Dasaru, was a great learning experience.

When I joined my first job, I was a total novice.  I was scared of my branch manager, who often used to find faults with me.  At that time it was my senior colleague, Mr. Suryanarayana Bhat who helped me in learning work and acquire confidence. 

It was only after joining the job, that I purchased my first shoe.  But I didn't know how to tuck-in my shirt.  When I got a new pair of shirt and pant stitched by my tailor, inside the trial room it was he who taught me the art of tucking in the shirt and dress well! 

I am also thankful to one Mr. Ranganathan who was the newspaper agent for 'The Hindu,' who advised me to get my personal copy.  Once I started reading that newspaper, unknowingly I was exposed to the whole world!  And my English language skill started improving dramatically.  Later on with the advent of T.V., my exposure to the world grew further.  And I started picking Hindi too.

Post 2000, is an era of technology.  'Google' has become the big teacher for all of us.  We all are so dependent on google, as a source of knowledge and information, that often I wonder how we lived without google for so long! Post retirement, I am improving my computer and technology skills, through the help of my granddaughter Gowri!

I hope that all of you will agree that we have learnt most life skills through innumerable number of 'informal teachers,' who came in our lives at various stages.  Let us salute them all along with our formal teachers on the occasion of 'Teachers' Day.'

-0-0-0-0-0-0-

 


3 comments:

  1. Yes Sir, there are many people who taught us very important things in life, but not teachers by profession. We should salute all of them today.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Agreed sir. Commencing from home we have been learning till date and we have come across many teachers, friends, colleagues and lots of young people from whom we have learnt a lot. I bow to both formal and informal teachers.

    ReplyDelete