Friday 8 March 2024

GURU DRONA




 I’m dedicating this humble poem of mine to all teachers. 

GURU DRONA

(A Soliloquy)

 

'Acharya Devo Bhava' says Upanishad.

Yes, I am a revered Guru, yet

I am remembered as a Cheat!


I was born poor,

martial arts was never my forte.

Yet, I mastered all that

thanks to my great Guru’s touch!

I was determined to teach,

caste, creed and religion were no hitch, yet

I am remembered as a Cheat!


When my life was under threat

I had to seek retreat under

Bhishma, the uncrowned King of Hastinapur.

Yes, I became a royal Guru, yet

I am remembered as a Cheat!                                                                                                    

                                                            

                                                                                                                                                      

No doubt, Arjun was  bright,

but when I saw Ekalavya, the forest kid,

I couldn't resist.

I was thrilled by his skills!                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

And I dared to teach him along with Kuru Princes!

I adored Ekalavya and Arjun more than my own son, yet

I am remembered as a Cheat!


I forgot I was a royal stooge,

my Gurukul was under siege.

Raged Bhishma thundered,

poor Ekalavya had to be barred.

And my heart became heavy and eyes wet, yet

I am remembered as a Cheat!


Teacher in my heart continued to beat 

and I kept secretly boating to Ekalavya's forest.

Taught him all skills for a fierce combat, 

and made him world's great, yet

I am remembered as a Cheat!


Talent can never be hidden for long.

And one day when Ekalavya came to light,

arrogant Bhishma could not tolerate!

I was pulled and ordered to eliminate 

my most talented pet!

And I was made a hapless ploy for 

fulfilling the royal might, yet

I am remembered as a Cheat!


My heart sunk into my boot

when I demanded 'Gurudakshina' 

of my beloved’s thumb, so deft at right

and how shameful I felt?

I did balm that injured fist,

I even taught him the four-fingered archery art

but nothing could wipe my guilt, yet

I am remembered as a Cheat!!!

                                                                                                                                                             

                                                                                                                                                           

(Inspired by the great Kannada Novel 'Parva', written by the greatest Novelist and 

Teacher of our times Dr.S.L.Byrappa)

Poem composed by:

Lakshminarayana Krishnappa

Faculty, MAB_Manipal County


No comments:

Post a Comment